WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT

REVIEWS, HAULS, AND OTHER SPECTACULAR BOOKISH NEWS

Friday, October 10, 2014

Obsidian (Lux Series #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Title: Obsidian
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Page Count: 335
Rating: A
Keywords: Funny, Fun, Awesome, ALIENS
Genre: YA
Younger Readers: Some language, Kissing
 
*eBook currently free on Kindle*
 
Summary from Good Reads:        
 
   Starting over sucks.
   When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.
   And then he opened his mouth.
   Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something... unexpected happens.
   The hot alien living next door marks me.
   You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.
   If I don't kill him first, that is.
 
 
Review: I had heard that this book is basically Twilight but with aliens. There is truth to this, but don't let that deter you! There is a seventeen year old girl, named Katy, that moves to a small town and meets a hot guy, Daemon, who hates her for no reason. Something is just off about his family and any time Katy is around them weird things start happening. Beyond this the story is a fun, engrossing, funny, and a really fast read.
   Katy is a really fun protagonist to read about. Aside from being sarcastic and speaking her mind, she loves books. She even has her own book blog! Kat is not the typical timid character as she says and does things that other characters would only wish they could do. (Hint: the spaghetti scene is hilarious.) Daemon is the bad boy that you will learn to love and hate, which sums up his relationship with our protagonist. Watching these two interact, usually bickering, is so much fun and made me laugh out loud more than once. Secondary characters are also enjoyable, especially Daemon's sister Dee.
   Armentrout has crafted an enjoyable read that is reminiscent of the ever popular Twilight but is fresh enough to hold a reader's attention and maybe even earn a rave review. Absolutely recommended.
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment