WHAT IT'S ALL ABOUT

REVIEWS, HAULS, AND OTHER SPECTACULAR BOOKISH NEWS

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Onyx (Lux Series #2) by Jennifer L. Armentrout





















Title: Onyx                                                                                                                                               
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout                                                                                                             
Page Count: 366                                                                                                                                       
Rating: A                                                                                                                                                  
Keywords: Funny, Action, Awesome, ALIENS                                                                                      
Genre: YA                                                                                                                                              
Younger Readers: Some language, similar to Obsidian                                                                      

Synopsis from Good Reads:


Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…
Review: I love this book! It was a really fast read and had me laughing throughout.
 
Non-Spoiler Review:
 
   I loved this book! It was hilarious throughout and I ended up getting plenty of weird looks for laughing out loud in public. Daemon and Katy were just as hot in this books as they were in Obsidian. Constantly wavering between bickering and making out they certainly are entertaining, though it was nice to see in this book that it began to move beyond the physical relationship and the question of if they actually like like each other was more prominent. There is less of a focus on the friendship between Dee and Katy though. Adam and Dee are together constantly which makes Katy feel uncomfortable. Then Katy is also trying to deal with the consequences of being in contact with so many aliens and fighting her feelings for Daemon.
   On the negative side their was the introduction of the love triangle between Daemon, Katy, and a new character named Blake. Sometimes these work and make sense but here it was more on the annoying side. Even Katy's narration brings up how pointless it all is. Blake's treatment of Katy and all of the risky situations he puts her in were certainly annoying. The entire time I just wanted to scream at all the characters. Aside from my disdain for Blake there was also the fact that Katy refuses to accept that she has feelings for Daemon. Everyone else can see it but she spends over half of the book denying them.
   Overall, a strong sequel that I would highly recommend.
 
 
Spoiler Discussion Below:
 
   I just thought I would list off some of my favorite/most memorable scenes from the book. Don't read unless you've already finished the book!
  • A really cute moment was towards the beginning of the book when Daemon comes home after his meeting with the Department of Defense. Katy being really worried and running up and hugging him as soon as he gets back is adorable and really hints at what the ramifications of their connection will be.
  • I don't know about anyone else but I kept laughing during the scene when Kat and Daemon are talking about their relationship and they keep saying that their lives are not a book.
  • Leading up from when Will kidnaps Katy to when Daemon comes and saves her. This really shows how vulnerable they are and I like how it opened up for possibilities in the remainder of the series.
  • Dawson is alive! The description of how haunted he seems and how crazy Bethany was really cool in how they almost serve as a warning for Katy and Daemon.
  • I would be lying if I said I didn't cry I little when Dee and Adam rush in to save Katy from Blake. Dee had just started feeling normal with her best friend and a boyfriend she was crazy about when all of a sudden everything is ripped away from her. Even Ash's reaction got to me.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment